Monday, September 26, 2011

Lost Summer

I have spent most of this summer experiencing various states of losing and lost.  I have been lost in a mind-numbing plethora of reality television options, lost in my own head and lost in mazes of job applications.  I have been lost for words when trying to describe Rwanda, while simultaneously I have been losing my Kinyarwanda, my Rwandan mindset, and my Rwandan sense of purpose and belonging.


This was a summer spent trying to navigate my impermanent present in a town I thought I’d left behind for good at 18.  I’ve discovered that being lost has little to do with lack of familiarity with a place and has everything to do with lack of familiarity with a stage of life.  Lost is what happens when your old skin doesn’t quite fit anymore and you’re left lonely in the place that used to house your whole universe.


It’s not all bad though, this “lost in my one horse hometown” phenomenon.  While I continue to crave and plan out my next steps away from here, I thought I’d pay photographic homage to a few pieces of my hometown, my lost town.











2 comments:

  1. those photos are so amazing! I especially love the windmill. It's always so interesting to look at your hometown through the lens of a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pictures Jess! and i strongly believe that this " lost summer" is happening for a reason ...

    ReplyDelete