Friday, September 30, 2011

life and Austin

The novelty of living in L.A. has almost worn off and, predictably, I'm itching to travel again. It's the kind of thought that takes root in your mind, in a small space, and grows slowly until you can't take it anymore. You're in class searching for airfare, or googling photographs, or daydreaming of hopping a plane tomorrow, destination unknown. Not that I don't love school. Or what I'm studying. But there is so much of the world to see, and it's constantly changing. And I want to see it all.

Instead, I thought that I would take the more mature route and finish the second post of my road trip, now almost two months in the past. Maybe it will remind me that, yes, I actually do cool things sometimes. I actually make progress on my list of things I want to accomplish. I really shouldn't be complaining since I had a field trip to the Getty this past week, so life could definitely be more rough. But there's something about knowing that the whole world is out there, waiting to be seen, and I'm staring at a pile of books to read and a list of projects to do that entail me sitting in a computer lab while the sun is shining and the beach is calling.

So about that road trip...I left off before we arrived in Texas. Austin is seriously one of the greatest places, even with the insufferable heat of July. We stayed at a hostel on the river, and watched the sun set over the city. We met interesting people, visited eclectic neighborhoods, and ate amazing food. I think that Austin has some of the best food on the planet, really. And every place is unique. It reminds me of the Bay, but hotter. And cheaper! sigh, so much cheaper. I have to go back.


See this is the problem: it's not about going everywhere once, it's about going to all of the places that will change your life, and then going back. It's a never-ending cycle, always wanting to keep seeing, experiencing and changing your perspective. And as for the places that affect you most, it's about going there again and again.

(Just a note: In case you're confused, the photo of the eatery was taken on a previous trip, around Christmas)

2 comments:

  1. Austin is pretty amazing, i want to go back! remember we told Mallory we would do a convergence there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to go sometime (soon)!!! Is it really eternal Christmas there or was that a lighting effect? ;)

    ReplyDelete